Friday, April 13, 2007

I am unfinished

Is there a remedy to our dad issues?

We were singing that Everclear song about his dad on Thursday and Scott made a comment on how a lot of bands have dad issues. I thought to myself, "Well I had dad issues, but my step-dad is more my dad than i could have hoped. So my problems are over."

not true.

I have 3 memories of my birth dad; he once gave me a plastic sword as a present, when he put it in his mouth and it came out his back I thought he was magic. another time when my mom caught me and said, "stop picking your nose." he said, "Oh he's not, he's just scratching."

and the last was when he knelt down and told me he was leaving. I asked him when he was coming back. He told me, "I'm not coming back."

I think I was almost 3 years old at the time. I've never got a birthday card, or a letter, a phone call, nothing. Thinking about these things I realize that I will always have dad issues. That kind of hurt doesn't fade.

Is there a solution?

I think that we may all be destined to walk around as broken souls and unfinished people. Maybe it's part of our drive to do good. Maybe it's also part of our instinct to do evil. Maybe life is nothing more than a series of choices between yes or no.

No comments: